Website TST- INC.
Since its beginning in 1946, TST has evolved into a vertically integrated producer, buyer, trader and processor of aluminum scrap and dross. Today, TST is one of the major American producers of secondary aluminum ingot, billet and cast plate. TST is also a major distributor of primary aluminum foundry ingot, grain refiners and hardeners. Other services include worldwide trading of nonferrous scrap and other aluminum commodities.
Job Title: Machine Operator
Wage Grade: Grade 3 – $17.05
Reports To: Shift Foreman
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Revised: September 2019
Operates fixed, circular blade, saw, and its conveying system to cut billet of different diameters into different specified lengths performing the following duties. Responsible for scalping operation including equipment inspection & set up, billet scalping and product quality inspection as well as meeting production standards of efficiency and quality. Includes following Machine Operators: NC Saw, Finish, Roughing, Trim Saw, Lathe/Saw, and any other operating machine not specifically mentioned above.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Reads work order and receives instructions from supervisor for production instructions.
– Checks condition of equipment and blade.
– Checks depth of cut indicator, oil level, hydraulic unit and billet rack.
– Prepares tote boxes to place remnants such as end cuts and chips.
– Makes sure strapping material, and dunnage is available prior to starting sawing operations
– Using forklift, loads onto rack, product to be cut.
– Operates saw to cut materials according to specified lengths.
– Stamps cut product with proper identification such as, heat number, shift and alloy content.
– Stacks processed product according to instructions.
- Inspects lathes at the start of the shift and throughout the day according to work instructions
- Checks equipment and adds fluids as necessary on a daily basis
- Inspects condition of support equipment such as cranes, chip conveyor, mobile equipment cables & slings, tote box, etc.
- Reports immediately to the supervisor any deficiencies with the equipment
- Prepares billets prior to scalping by drilling & positioning holes at center of both ends.
- Sets the billets in the lathe and positions blades and other mechanisms in place to begin scalping according to work instructions
- Changes and adjusts lathe blades as necessary to obtain desired scalping finish
- Observes scalping process to ensure proper scalping quality and makes adjustments as necessary
- Observes operation of the equipment to ensure proper operation and reports malfunction or excessive tool wear immediately
- Verifies that recently scalped product conforms to specifications.
- Keeps records of scalping operations and production reports and reviews with supervisor.
– Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
High School Diploma or GED
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondences. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurements, volume, and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Wide variety of routine tasks that involve some choice of action within limits.
- For trim saw, NC Saw, roughing and Finish: Ability to operate forklift and overhead crane, ability to use micrometer, re-sharpen inserts
While performing normal duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and use hands frequently. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception to read instruments, operate material handling equipment and identify plant color code system. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities in accordance to legal requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and extreme heat. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and vibration. The noise level in this work environment requires hearing protection. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities in accordance to legal requirements.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com